Sunday, July 01, 2007

Bangalore Tour (June 23)

It was Saturday, the day after we arrived. Sure enough, the trainers did not want us to have jet lag, so they take us for a tour of Bangalore, for the whole day.
But it was great!! First day out with the whole TWU!
More pictures are here: http://good-times.webshots.com/album/559825381uSljKK.

Bull Temple
It's a temple :). We had to take our slippers/shoes off. Oh oh. I guess it's not a problem for some people, but it is for me. Oh well. It's a small temple, just one round walk around a big bull statue. In the inner middle side of the walk path, they put a box for (money) gift. I think one priest was standing there, too. Outside the door, there were a few vendors selling books about temples around Bangalore, and other small gifts.
Next to the Bull temple, there is a garden, with a med-size monument in the middle. The monument is about 10 m in diameter, and 20 m in height. It has carvings of famous Indian leaders around the walls.

City Market
It is a traditional wholesale market (kaya pasar Sambongan di Surabaya), very crowded, lots of people carrying big bags of vegetables (or other things) on their head. The sellers on the street-sides yelled something.. maybe prices. This was where our group got split (of course!). I didn't really enjoy visiting it :p

Lunch
We had south Indian buffet. The plate was made of steel, and it was big, with dividers that look like an animal paw ^_^. First, they gave a small cup of lime juice with honey, very sweet. Then they came and filled in the paws with different sauces (or maybe I should say chutneys). It's been sometime so I don't remember all the dishes :( but there were many varieties: poori, (sweet) almond sauce, fried balls that look like falafel, 2 kinds of curries, yogurt rice. My my.. I certainly liked the food, but I was too full! I think someone said it costs (only) 100 rupees (~US$ 2.5) per person. Oh yeah, it is a good price.

Lalbagh Garden
This one is similar to Chicago botanical garden. It has a bridge with river and lotus flowers, gardens with different tropical trees and plants, and .. a dome-like hill. On top of that little dome (or hill), there is a small temple-like building. I'm not sure what it's for, but we could see the city from there, very nice.

There are a lot of similarities between Bangalore and Surabaya (or other big cities in Indonesia). The small shops and industries (toko-toko, meracangan) on the streets, the road and traffic conditions.. man, it comprises mostly of four things: auto rikshaw (mirip becak bermotor), cars, buses, and horns. I feel it's more noisy than Surabaya.. but maybe because I always ride in a car back home :p hehe.

We went home around 4 pm. Very tired, but very happy to have seen the city. I think I can like it here :)

No comments: